STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD
(1 Chronicles 4:9-10)
- Why did God single Jabez out?
- What caused his name to be persevered for over thousands of years?
- What made him above average?
Here are the three principles he applied that made him stand out in the crowd:
“Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.” (1 Chronicles 4:10 NIV)
- While others were content with being average and mediocre, that wasn’t enough for Jabez.
- He didn’t want to be ordinary, He wanted to do something significant with his life.
- He didn’t want to be common, He wanted to expand and grow.
- He deeply wanted God’s blessings in his life.
- Many people today drift through life, they have no goals, no master plan, no overall purpose and no ambition. As a result they never accomplish much. They simply exist.
- The first principle of living above average is that you have a great ambition. If you don’t have dreams, you are drifting.
- When you stop dreaming you lose direction.
- When you stop setting goals, you stop growing.
- God made you for growth, he wants you to stretch and develop and dream.
Three common misconceptions that stops us from having great ambition:
- We confuse “fear” with “humility”
- We confuse “small thinking” for “spirituality
- We confuse “laziness” with “contentment”
“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” – Philippians 4:11 NIV
- But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t set goals.
- Jabez had a deep trust and belief in God. He had enough faith to pray and expect answers.
- Faith is grown through the word; study to know.
- It was Jabez’s simple prayer request that got him an honorable mention in the Bible.
- He first Prayed for GOD’S POWER in his life. He asked for a power greater than his own to accomplish his dream.
- His prayer was also specific.
“You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.”– James 4:2 NIV
“‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’”- Jeremiah 33:3 NIV
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,”- Ephesians 3:20 NIV
- You cannot out-ask God, nor can you out-dream him.
- If you could stretch your imagination to the greatest limits of what you think could possibly happen, God can go even beyond that.
- Secondly he prayed for GOD’S PRESENCE in his life.
- Thirdly he prayed for GOD’S PROTECTION over his life.
~Excerpt From: “God’s Answers to Life’s Difficult Questions” by Rick Warren~